Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Omurice at Niji Bistro

omurice
After what seemed like months of waiting, I finally found my way to a Japanese restaurant that served yohshoku (Jap-style western food)! It was last Saturday in TST - we made our way to Harbour City, and passed by a fairly new cafe/bistro called Niji, right next to (and part of) the Noritake store. The one thing that caught my eye was the blackboard menu which had OMURICE on it! Like a lot of other people, I've been wanting to try omurice ever since watching the Japanese drama, Lunch Queen, (I've tried to make my own, but of course I couldn't tell if my version tasted ok or if it was just fried rice with egg).

Continue reading...


There were 3 omurice versions on the menu - I had the traditional chicken one with tomato sauce, and YH tried a mushroom one with a different sauce. It was delicious! Not that I've much to compare it with, but it tasted good to me. It was served with Niji's own tomato sauce, which was not too sour and very tasty (I'm glad they didn't just use the more common tomato ketchup). The egg was nicely cooked and not gooey (perhaps not everyone's favourite, but I liked it). It could have been served with more sauce, though, but I managed to make the sauce last until the last bit of rice. The open-concept bistro was lovely, and every diner had a cute cutlery stand which they sold at the Noritake shop next door for around HKD144 each!

niji
I'm still waiting to try an omurice served with demiglace sauce (like the ones on Lunch Queen), but at least my craving was partially satisfied!

Niji bistro is located at Shop 3208, Level 3, Gateway Arcade, Harbour City, TST, Kowloon, Hong Kong.

Back

No comments: