Another guilt-free fast food dish you can easily whip up at home is the burger. Making your own burger is definitely the healthier option, especially if you use the leanest minced meat you can find.
Beef Burgers(makes around 4 large patties, 5 medium patties)360g (0.8lb) lean mince beef
1 small onion
2 Tbsp tomato sauce (ketchup)
1 Tbsp soya sauce
5 Tbsp breadcrumbs
dash dry basil leaves
dash salt and pepper
- Chop the onion and pan fry it with a little oil until the onion is soft. Set aside to cool a little.
- In a bowl, mix all the other ingredients together. Add the cooked onion.
- Mix well, form into patties.
- Heat up a grill or non-stick frying pan. Add a small amount of oil. Grill/pan-fry the burger patties for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through.
- Sandwich the burger patty between a hamburger bun and add your desired toppings - eg. cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach leaves, bacon, mushrooms, jalapeno chillis etc.
In the picture above, I added low fat cheese, sliced cherry tomatoes, butter lettuce, bacon and a grilled portobello mushroom. You can also add some mayonnaise or sauce, but I didn't, as I find this burger is tasty enough without the sauce (it's healthier this way, too!)