On the weekend we headed out to eat a bento lunch in the park, and I got the chance to use my collapsible bento boxes from Muji, which I bought thinking they would be useful for hiking or travel. We've neither hiked nor travelled since their purchase, but they were equally useful for our impromptu picnic.
Collapsible bentos are great because the boxes are (usually!) light and compact when folded, so you can carry them around (or complete your hike) with ease after you've eaten. Since they tend to have holes in them, they lend well to sandwiches, which are dry. I prefer to line the base and sides with foil, so the food won't leak and dirt won't get in. You can also use baking paper or a piece of paper towel as a disposable lining.
This bento contains grilled cajun chicken mini whole wheat pita sandwiches, with carrot sticks and hummus in a little sauce container for dipping. I was a little pressed for time, so for fruit/dessert we had an apple (uncut - saves carrying around another container!)
Grilled Cajun Chicken Mini Pita Sandwiches
(makes 6-8 mini pita sandwiches)
200g chicken fillets
Cajun spice mix (Pre-bought or make your own by mixing together paprika, cayenne pepper, pepper, and salt)
6 - 8 pieces of mini pita bread (whole wheat or white)
butter lettuce, washed
- Liberally coat the chicken fillets with the Cajun spice mix.
- Grill or pan-fry the chicken until cooked (around 3 minutes). The juices should run clear when they are done.
- Set aside to cool a little, then cut the fillets diagonally into 1cm slices. (Cut them diagonally across the grain of the meat, so that it is easier to eat)
- Set aside to cool.
- Lightly toast or microwave the pita bread. Split them 3/4 way open.
- Spread one side with hummus.
- Fill pita with chicken, lettuce and tomatoes. Add some freshly ground pepper to taste.