Sunday, October 19, 2008

Halloween Witches' Brew Spider Bento

spider bento
I don't usually make Halloween-themed food, but this year, since I've been bitten by the bento bug, it seemed like another great opportunity to design a bento. I suppose I got a little too excited, as it isn't even Halloween yet! But the stores and restaurants here are covered with Halloween-inspired decorations, so I'm not that early, either.

The bento is my little Ode to Macbeth - "Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn and cauldron bubble" - but the fire must have bubbled out for some time because a spider came along and decided to build a web over it...

The bento contains squid-ink spaghetti tossed with roasted pancetta, pumpkin, garlic and tomato, representing some foul-looking (but tasty) witches' brew. "Eye of newt" edamame with nori eyes have been tossed in here and there, and the spider web is made from a slice of smoked turkey. The spider itself is made out of polish sausage (I didn't want to go the frankfurter route with this one, and the polish sausage is an adult-version, I suppose!)

Note: I don't usually pack spaghetti for cold bento, but this pasta is covered in enough garlicky-oily goodness that it doesn't dry out.

You can also use this pasta and decorate it in a similar way for a Halloween themed dinner, if you feel so inclined...See Roasted Pumpkin & Pancetta Pasta
spider pasta

No comments: