Monday, October 6, 2008

Remoulade & Danish Hotdogs

remoulade
My mother used to constantly rave about the hotdogs in Denmark, so the first thing we did when we visited Copenhagen (after walking past the Little Mermaid, who was very little indeed) was to track down a hotdog street vendor and eat a Danish hotdog. They were every bit as good as my mother had promised. The hotdog sausage and bun were normal enough (although still delicious) but the crispy fried onions and lashings of remoulade on top were heavenly. (There were additional toppings available such as mustard, tomato sauce, raw onions, pickled cucumbers, etc. but I kept my one very simple.)

Remoulade is a sauce that was invented in France, and is similar to tartar sauce. It is usually mayonnaise-based, and there are many variations that include chopped pickles, horseradish, anchovies, capers, paprika, and even curry flavouring. Danish remoulade is medium yellow in colour, has a slight sweet-sour-tangy taste, and often includes capers, chopped cabbage, picked cucumber, sugar, mustard and cayenne.

Every now and again I will crave for remoulade and a Danish hotdog. As I cannot find remoulade in the supermarkets, I decided to make my own. However, when I read up on what it contained, I wasn't sure why I liked it so much, because capers, horseradish and anchovies are not on my list of favourite foods. 

I ended up adapting a recipe by excluding the capers and anchovies, etc. which resulted in a remoulade-y style sauce which I think is still great. Not authentic by any means, but it is simple to make and a great hotdog topping. It can also be used to accompany battered fried fish, fish fingers, roast beef, etc.

Simple Remoulade Recipe...
Danish Hot Dog recipe


Simple Remoulade
6 Tbsp mayonnaise (light mayonnaise works as well)
2 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
2 tsp mustard (Dijon or yellow mustard)

Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight. This allows time for the flavours to blend together, which is necessary for a better tasting sauce.
Use as a hotdog topping, or serve with battered fish, fish fingers, roast beef. It keeps in the fridge for up to a week.


See related: Danish Hot Dog recipe

Back

No comments: