This is a variation of my previous Fried Rice recipe. The method to frying the rice is the same, but the ingredients are listed especially for a vegetarian pineapple fried rice. Continue reading for the recipe...
Vegetarian Pineapple Fried Rice
1 cup cooked rice (cooled)
1/4 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4-5 Chinese or Shitake mushrooms, chopped (if dried, soak mushrooms in water until soft)
1/2 red or green capsicum (sweet pepper), chopped
1 slice pineapple ring, chopped (canned or fresh)
handful of raisins
1 tsp soya sauce
1 tsp Thai fish sauce
light olive oil, for frying
- Heat up a little oil on medium heat in a frying pan.
- Add the onion and garlic, fry until fragrant and the onions are translucent.
- Add the chopped capsicum (sweet pepper), mushrooms, pineapple and raisins.
- Add soya sauce, fish sauce and shake some curry powder into the rice (add more or less according to your preference).
- Fry everything until the vegetables are cooked.
- Season with pepper, taste, and add more soya sauce, fish sauce or curry powder if necessary.
For added protein, crack an egg into the rice after Step 5 and stir until the egg is cooked.
Change this into a non-vegetarian dish by adding some seafood (prawns/squid) or minced pork/chicken. (Add the meat after the onions and garlic, fry until cooked, then add the vegetables in Step 3. For seafood, which cooks quickly, add it together with the vegetables in Step 3.)